Buffalo City residents face the threat of disruption of services after municipal workers, led by the SA Municipal Workers Union, the biggest union in the city, downed tools on Tuesday.
The strike, which has spread across East London, Mdantsane and Qonce, saw hundreds of workers blocking Oxford Street in the city centre, forcing law enforcement officers to divert traffic and police to intervene.
In Mdantsane, workers blocked roads with burning tyres, and police used rubber bullets and teargas to disperse them.
Tuesday’s actions were just the start of the strike and meant to be isolated pickets by a select number of Samwu members.
On Wednesday, a full-blown strike action will commence, with all members of Samwu downing tools indefinitely. The action will culminate in a march to the City Hall from the North End Stadium.
While Samwu accuses the municipality of broken promises, exploitation of workers and outsourcing of essential services, Buffalo City Metro insists it has addressed legitimate concerns and accuses the union of fuelling disorder for political ends.
The workers said municipal services would be suspended until their grievances were attended to by the metro.
However, workers represented by another union, Imatu, will not be striking, according to its shop steward, Siyanda Yamba.
“We will attend to our duties, as we do not have any grievances.”
Samwu members are striking because they want the city to pay them their Covid-19 risk allowance funds; they want the end of outsourcing and privatisation, and the alleged exploitation of Expanded Public Works Programme workers.
Samwu shop steward Lumka Nompunga said BCM was unwilling to listen to their grievances.
“Initially, we started picketing in our own different regions, with hopes that our employer would see we were serious.
“Our grievances started ... during the Covid-19 pandemic. We were given working permits, but ever since then, we have not yet received our Covid-19 allowance.”
She said they had noted with concern the alleged exploitation of EPWP workers.
“When permanent posts become vacant, EPWP workers are often asked to fill these positions without receiving the corresponding benefits or being permanently employed.
“Samwu demands that these vacant, funded posts be filled with permanent employees and that the EPWP programme be reviewed, with the ultimate goal of absorbing these workers into permanent positions.”
Nompunga said Samwu opposed the continued outsourcing of essential services.
“The electricity department in Mdantsane, one of the largest units in the municipality, is being outsourced to a private company responsible for all electricity-related functions, including staffing.
“This is in stark contrast to how other areas, such as Qonce and East London, are managed by internal BCMM staff.
“Similarly, solid waste management, road maintenance, and other key services are being outsourced, leaving current BCMM employees sidelined.
“We have about 20 solid waste trucks, and only two are running, while 18 are outsourced.”
BCM spokesperson Bongani Fuzile confirmed Samwu had been issued with a certificate by the Bargaining Council authorising it to embark on a protected and peaceful strike.
“The substantive issues underpinning their certificate are, in the main, matters of centralised collective bargaining, which fall outside the jurisdiction of the municipality to resolve.
“Those matters which are legitimately of local concern have been fully attended to by the leadership in good faith.”
Fuzile said the municipality was informed that the strike had degenerated into violence and disruption, marked by the burning of municipal assets.
“This compelled the intervention of the SA Police Service and our municipal law enforcement to disperse the crowd and restore order. It is worth noting that all attempts at dialogue with Samwu have not borne fruit.
“The most recent scheduled engagement was this past Friday, when Samwu yet again tendered an apology for their absence.
“This persistent pattern undermines constructive engagement and suggests a deliberate strategy of avoidance.”
Fuzile said labour unrest and intraparty factional dynamics were destabilising the metro, undermining governance and weaponising workers’ legitimate platforms for purposes unrelated to collective bargaining.
“The municipality reminds Samwu that trade unions can be held legally accountable for damage to public infrastructure during unprotected strikes or unlawful protests. Should such unlawful behaviour continue, BCMM will not hesitate to pursue legal action.”
He said the damage so far was to rubbish bins.
Fuzile said grievances raised by Samwu were neither new nor neglected.
“They have been consistently addressed through the proper channels.”
Fuzile said the city had taken measures to ensure that water and other services would not be cut off.
“If there were outages, this would be the result of sabotage and there will be consequences.
“Law enforcement teams working with the police will be ready and alert to monitor anything or groups that try to sabotage municipal infrastructure.”
Tuesday’s action has already affected some residents, with Quigney Ratepayers’ Association chair Satish Nair expressing frustration that they’d had to clean up themselves.
“I noticed how polluted Currie Street was this morning as I was driving towards the Esplanade Beachfront. The beachfront was also a mess.”
Daily Dispatch






Would you like to comment on this article?
Sign up (it's quick and free) or sign in now.
Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.